Thursday, January 01, 2009

Looking Back, Looking Ahead

It's 11.30 p.m., and the madness to welcome the New Year has just begun. It's a cool night, and vehicles, noisier than ever, are whizzing past, much hooting, shrieking and whistling emanating from them. There's the ominous sound of a siren/alarm/ambulance. I am at home, after a feast of yesterday's leftovers with only some fresh omelettes, trying to make the most of the fading year with the dawn of the new one.

Blog-wise, it's been a great year. I met many bloggers, the latest being Raaga. We met earlier this month and talked about everything but food and blogging and it didn't feel like a first meeting at all. We spent about two hours together and it seemed to have vanished in a minute. I met Aparna, and earlier, a lot of bloggers from the city I live in and had a lot of fun. Blog friendships deepened and when a dear friend turned to blogging,our friendship of 19 years gained another dimension.

My blog underwent a makeover when Sandeepa designed the header you see here now. I even took a couple of unscheduled and unintended breaks from blogging, and ached to come back to it even though I didn't have much to say. I didn't think this piece would make it to this, but it has!

The posts I especially enjoyed writing and watching the reactions to are the ones on

Hostel food

The maximum convexity of my butt

My second anniversary

My magnetic attractions

Minding my pounds and quarts

Whether heritage comes cheap

Not unholy combinations

A proposed bloggers' meet

My not being a queer fish

Memories and mementos

I made an effort to rediscover some homely and traditional recipes. I also attempted recipe haiku and posted my first ever round-up, of the event I thought up and exasperated many of you with! That was on January 1, 2008 and as I write this, crackers around me are exploding to announce the new year. (I can't help but pat myself that I've choreographed the writing of this post perfectly, for whatever it's worth.)

Lifewise, much has been the same, though I travelled a bit - to Japan, to Karnataka with one group of girlfriends and to Calcutta with another, where much fun, mirth and getting-in-touch-with-the-inner-witch was had by all. "Life is not all about having fun," said a well-meaning friend to me once, trying not to sound stern. I suppose it's true, but one can always try to have as much fun as possible, can't they? Here's wishing you all a fun- and happiness- filled new year!

45 comments:

  1. A very happy new year, dear Sra to you and yours.

    We are still awaiting the dawn of the new year...three hours and 37minutes to go :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another great post to end and welcome the New Year, Sra. Wishing you a Wonderful New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sra, A very very Happy New Year !!

    ReplyDelete
  4. It has been a fabulous 08 with you Sra and looking forward to a fun new year ahead... Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post, Sra! Wish you and your family a very happy new year! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wishing you a delightful New Year,Sra.
    It was lovely reading the post.Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sra,
    It was lovely reading your post ..
    happy New year ..
    hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wish You a Very Happy and Prosporous New Year! Thanks to 2008 for making us Freinds...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Happy New year to you too! Looking forward for more posts in ur blog in the year 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  10. And a very Happy New Year to you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year to you and your's Sra! It's been a pleasure knowing you virtually, here is to many many more years of blogging and friendship...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ode to the old and welcome to the New! A very Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wish you a very, very spectacular new year Sra, may it bring you loads of happiness, and us many, many wonderful posts! :D

    ReplyDelete
  14. Nice reading this post....

    Happy New Year!!!!.....

    ReplyDelete
  15. Happy, Happy New Year! All the best to you!

    Paz xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  16. Have a Great year ahead, Sweetie :)..
    Looking forward to your fantastic posts..

    Sorry for my late wishes, here..really getting tied up with family commitments..

    ReplyDelete
  17. What's life without fun?
    A very Happy New Year to you. I've enjoyed reading what you write and meeting you was the chocolate (I don't really like icing very much) on the cake. :D

    ReplyDelete
  18. Sra, as usual a lovely post...looking forward to many such ones...Wish you and your family a great New year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. A very happy new year to you Sra! Hope 2009 is as eventful and I look forward to the humour and wit in your writings!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Happy New Year, dear Sra.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wishing you and your family a Happy New Year Sra:) Looking forward to many more fun and witty posts.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love the way you write & describe things....you bring real life to every sentence you type....great job.

    Love the biriyani...

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like that - The maximum convexity of my butt:) ha ha ha!! Reminds me of mine:) lolz!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  24. best wishes for the new year.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hope you and your family enjoy a very warm and fulfilling New Year
    It was lovely reading more about u!
    Cheers

    ReplyDelete
  26. Methinks life is mostly fun, and when its not, its funny and mostly the joke is on me!
    Have a wonderful new year Sra. Reading your 'convexity' post now and having a major laugh!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Thanks and wish you a very happy new year, sra!! May this new year be very happy for you!

    I discovered (rediscovered?) your blog last year and I'm very happy about it. You have a GREAT sense of humor.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Happy New Year to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  29. A great post SRA! Love reading ur posts.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Wish you a very happy new year
    This year too we need to make a trip happy memories i'll cherish throughout my life

    ReplyDelete
  31. wish you a wonderful 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  32. You went to Kolkata and to Kali temple, I have never been there, I mean the temple, isn't it madly crowded ?

    ReplyDelete
  33. Sra, it's such a delight to read your posts. Hope you had a lovely new year's.

    Mamatha

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hey sra, wish you a very Happy and fun filled New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Wish You A Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  36. A very heartening read as always. May you have a year filled with all the goodness that you wish for and more ....

    ReplyDelete
  37. Lovely post! happy new yr to u!

    ReplyDelete
  38. I always enjoy reading your post, it's like reading a thesis on everything! Keep it up and keep it going. Happy new year to you.

    (Personal stuff, we can always talk about it "there", don't want that pest back in my front door!;D)

    ReplyDelete
  39. have a great 2009, dear sra.

    ReplyDelete
  40. An entertaining read, as always, Sra. I've been a fan of yours going on almost two years. I enjoyed every 2008 post you sited here, but want to add "Guess What Happened at Dinner?" Priceless.

    Here's to you for a Very Happy 2009!

    ReplyDelete
  41. Sra

    Raaga was my senior in college. Small world.

    Sanjay

    ReplyDelete
  42. Sra

    Raaga was my senior in college. Small world.

    Sanjay

    ReplyDelete
  43. Folks, thank you all for the good wishes and the nice things you've said. I'm still busy, and not able to make the time to reply individually.
    Sandeepa, the temple is madly, badly crowded at Kalighat - not enough space, I thought the kids would get killed and we would break a few bones. Dakshineswar Kali - at least there are queues, long ones, but queues, nevertheless.
    Sanjay, hello, how are you doing? Really a small world!

    ReplyDelete
  44. You forgot me in this post. Nice reading about your experiences and memories...

    ReplyDelete

I moderate all my comments. So if you're a human spammer or a bot that can understand this warning, buzz off, don't waste your time here spamming.