I've gone some three years without blogging here. But this impending 20th anniversary (Sept 14, 2026) and the gleaming, colourful picture of the vegetables in the photo below pushed me to post this. I almost didn't when it came to this moment, but decided to push myself, just for the fun of it. If you're interested, see my first post here.
I know most of us no longer want to read long or even medium-long posts - our phones, social media and glamorous bloggers, influencers and lovely, good-looking food have taken over (the latter always did) so here's the recipe, or what I remember of it after a month of having made it. It's neither original nor unusual - it's just what I mixed up in a pan and then thought it looked and tasted good, that's all.
I don't remember the focus on protein before Instagram, or even three years ago when I last blogged, and I'm no nutritionist, but there's probably a little bit of it here with the paneer and the green peas.
The raw materials
An onion sliced long
A capsicum/green pepper
A handful of carrot juliennes
One tomato, without the pulp, cut into strips
A fistful each of green peas and corn
Paneer - 200 gm, cubed
Other stuff, spices, etc
Puree of two tomatoes, about 3/4 cup
Three green chillies, slit and deseeded
1.5 tsp chilli powder, or to taste
1 tsp iodised salt
1 tsp tomato sauce (I wouldn't add it next time, didn't add any value)
Ginger, garlic (I can't remember if I added any but about 1 inch of the former and 2-3 cloves of the latter should do)
Kasoori methi - 2 tsp
Water, as needed
Garam masala - 1 tsp
Oil - 2 tbsp (and I mean exact tablespoons, not a casual measurement with any ladle hanging around)
Directions
Heat 1 tbsp of oil and add the carrots. Saute for a while and then add the capsicum.
Saute the capsicum and while it's still firm, add the green peas, corn and tomato strips. Saute. Keep aside.
In the rest of the oil, saute the onions till translucent.
Add the ginger and garlic if you are using them. Cook for a minute. Add half of the green chillies and let cook for a minute.
Add the tomato puree and the tomato sauce. Cook this for a while. Add the salt and the chilli powder. If you think it's necessary, add some water and bring it to a nice boil.
As it's thickening, add the vegetables and paneer and let the gravy coat it all till there's no gravy left (er ... but I'm sure you understand what I mean)
Let it cook for a minute or two. Stir so that it doesn't burn.
Rub some kasoori methi between your palms and sprinkle it on the curry. Add the garam masala, give it a good mix.
De-stove. (That is to say, ha ha, take it off the stove. Also, switch off the stove.)
Garnish with the rest of the green chillies.
Enjoy a bowl or two ... or three!



No comments:
Post a Comment
I moderate all my comments. So if you're a human spammer or a bot that can understand this warning, buzz off, don't waste your time here spamming.