Friday, June 13, 2014

Red Peppers and Me on Twitter


Earlier this week I promised my Twitter following, all of nine, that I would post this dish on the blog this week. I am giving my social skills on Twitter another go. (I had an account there years ago, I can’t find it now.) You can find me there as
@SraWhenMySoupCA.

I posted my most alluring picture of red and yellow capsicum (peppers) topped with besan (chickpea flour) and hoped for a reaction. I got one follower after that. 

I have been plagued with power cuts and lack of time since then so I’ll make this snappy.



Capsicum/Peppers (red, green, yellow or a combination): 4, medium, sliced
Besan or chickpea flour: 4 fistfuls
Sambaar kaaram: 2-2.5 tsp
Turmeric: ½ tsp
Salt, to taste
Urad dal/black gram: 1-2 tsp
Cumin: ½ tsp
Mustard: ½ tsp
Oil: A few tbsp

Heat about 3-4 tsp of oil in a large pan and temper it with the mustard, cumin and urad dal in that order.

When the urad dal begins to turn brown, add the capsicum and sauté on high. Keep sautéing, do not cover it as the colour tends to dull if you do that.

After about 4 minutes, season with the turmeric, salt and sambaar kaaram. Mix well – the seasoning tends to get stuck in the curves of the slices.

Saute some more, on medium heat.

After 3 minutes, sprinkle some chickpea flour all over the capsicum and mix well. Keep sprinkling the flour till you feel the vegetable is well covered with it. Add some more oil from around the edges of the pan and mix well. Keep stirring so that the flour gets crisped in the oil and does not stick to the pan or stay raw.

Test the capsicum. Take it off the fire when it’s still a little crunchy and the flour is cooked and has absorbed the taste of the spices.

The red and yellow capsicum are mild and sweet so this tastes a bit different when compared with green capsicum.



5 comments:

  1. You got your tenth follower there :) My husband likes peppers much and I make them throwing in any of the powders I fancy and available in my pantry. Now the sambhar kaaram is the addition to my peppers kari.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the idea id this dish, except for jalfrezi i never use capsicum in indian dishes, . Looks so good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice recipe to finish off the colored peppers from the fridge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll find you on twitter! I have had the same thing happen to me - it is just too much to 'do'. You have to tweet constantly it seems...going by those who do use this platform. I went back to it last week when @macroajit became the Indian of the week and was posting food from all over the country. He is famous on instagram!

    This method is used in Maharashtrain cooking to make "peeth perun" bhaajis meaning veggies sprinkled with flour (typically besan!). Works well with spring onions and also green such as radish greens. Nice work with the bright capsicums!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I haven't seen Twitter for some three days already! There isn't enough time for every social network. It's been easy to keep away from Whatsapp because I can't find it on my Windows phone and it doesn't have Instagram.

      I must find a recipe for peeth perun spring onions!

      Delete

I moderate all my comments. So if you're a human spammer or a bot that can understand this warning, buzz off, don't waste your time here spamming.