Tuesday, December 24, 2013

LessWord Wednesday - 2

Find of the week: Split horse gram dal. I made horse gram podi/chutney powder with it, with mint and coriander.


It looks better cartoonized.


What goes into it:

About as much coriander and mint as you can see in the photos below, washed well and fried in one spoon of oil
 A few pieces of garlic, fried in the same pan that the greens were fried in

 Roast these one by one and cool:
 9 tbsps of horse gram dal
7-8 red chillies
1.5 tbsp coriander seed
 Salt
Important: We need a lime-sized ball of tamarind, seen nowhere in these pictures.




Grind the dal, chillies, coriander seeds, tamarind and fried garlic.
Add the fried coriander and mint leaves.
Grind again.
Add salt and mix.


Goes well with rice, idli and I'm sure with a lot of other things. When I try it I'll let you know.
This post goes to Simona at Briciole who is hosting Susan's My Legume Love Affair, now managed by Lisa.

12 comments:

  1. this idea of adding fresh greens to the podi is super awesome. Will try this next time fr sure. hope you had a great Christmas and wish a very happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Sayantani! Adding curry leaf is common, I didn't have it and needed to use up the mint and coriander. :)

      Delete
  2. Sra, i had been to your blog on and off over the past year, silently keeping up without leaving comments.. I have ulavacharu in my fridge quite often and as a family we are quite fond of it.. I am going to look around for split horse gram now. Very recently got into the habit of making podis.
    Wish you a happy new year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got this in organic food store, La! I've never seen it before this, so I imagine it's a new product.

      Delete
  3. I would like to get a sense of its taste: the preparation is so interesting. Thank you so much for contributing to MLLA. And Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Simona, podis/chutney powders are dry or just a little moist from the oil if something has been fried in oil and then ground. I wish I could describe the taste but I can only say that it's quite different from split chickpeas and black gram which we routinely use in chutney powders

      Delete
  4. I like your idea of adding mint and coriander.Sounds like it will give lots of extra flavour. Hope you had a great New Year Sra!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That it does, Amelia! The flavour, I mean.

      Delete
  5. Oh, Sra! I love love love horsegram... have you seen ISG's kollu rasam and chutney? Check that out... I am going to try your recipe if ever I can find 'splt' kollu...

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Linda, yes, I have seen those but never tried it. In Andhra, where I come from, we make something called ulava charu from horse gram, which is a real delicacy - it's labour intensive and the end result is a thick, thick soup/gravy that is tempered with onion and mustard seed, if at all, and served with cream. I attempted making it in the pressure cooker once but it was not worth it - and the smoked taste that comes from cooking it on wood or coals is totally absent.

      Delete
  6. Happy New Year Sra! Loving the cartoonized version ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Mallika, happy new year to you too!

      Delete

I moderate all my comments. So if you're a human spammer or a bot that can understand this warning, buzz off, don't waste your time here spamming.