Friday, April 15, 2016

A Trifecta of Lassis, Of Friendships and Trips

Lassi is not something one looks to when they are looking for a pick-me-up, is it? That role is better played by something like coffee or tea, all dark and smouldering, with some bitterness to offset the rich brown good looks. Lassi, by contrast, is a fair, chocolate-boy kind of offering that would be my last choice of beverage (or boy). But what would I know? I, who have been blogging for almost 10 years now, have turned into an occasional, even desperate blogger you’d say, resorting to drawing similarities between lassi and the males of the species to inject some life into my blog. You may be right, in part, but this post is actually to reinforce and put on record the importance of giggly girl friendships in one’s life. And, of course, how to stay current and blog away to glory. (Were we envious? You bet!)

A couple of months ago, some of us, your favourite bloggers, went on a short holiday. We took trains, we took cars, we walked, we traipsed along trodden ways, wielded our cameras big, small and medium, ate and drank – not lassi or alcohol, but lots of the rich brown stuff – and laughed to our hearts’ content. And as it was a bloggers’ meet, deliberated on the future of blogging, bloggers, us bloggers (vs Them bloggers), how to make our blogs more popular, and find simple, stress-free ways to blog frequently and visibly.

I know I’ve mentioned in the past the state of my life and fridge and home and work and the insomnia and the pressure and all that keeps me away from blogging nowadays. The bloggers’ meet was useful in that there were some important takeaways:

1.       Anything is a recipe.
2.       There is no recipe too ordinary or common-sensical (I know it's not a real word) or unworthy of blogging.
3.       Lassi can be enhanced in three different ways (or four, or five, or fifty-five.) And each variant can be a recipe.

And so I have for you a trifecta of lassis today.

If you’re like me (life, fridge, work, insomnia, so on and so forth), here’s the smart girl’s way to making and blogging about lassi.

Buy lassi, any brand. I’ve tried not to let the brand show here as I don’t drink lassi and don’t intend any endorsements, but there are several brands, each with several flavours.

Buy some chopped fruit (or chop some fruit. Actually, just shave some off the top of the fruit, that will do.)

Empty the lassi into a pretty glass, top with fruit. Photograph. Blog.
(This is Lassi No 1.)

Too simple?

Well, blend lassi and fruit and some more sugar, if you like. Put in a clean tray and photograph. Blog.
(This is Lassi No 2.)

You can vary the colour and the taste of the lassi depending on the number of additions. The addition needn’t just be fruit. It could be essence. It could be fruit concentrate. It could be saffron. It could be spices. It could be even be another juice, like litchi juice. It could be chocolate spread.

It needn’t even be lassi.

No, really. It could be vegan. Lassi in spirit, if you like. You could substitute the lassi with almond milk. I found one in my supermarket for the first time today. (Again, this is no endorsement, I haven’t even opened the pack.) Or you could use cashew curd.

You could add the litchi juice or the chocolate spread – I’m assuming they are vegan, do check the label – to it, beat it a little with a fork or blend it mechanically, and your vegan litchi/chocolate lassi is ready!
(This is Lassi No 3.)

But, dear readers, do go on trips with your friends, eat, drink and be merry. I am lucky to have several such friends in my life and though such trips are not as frequent as I would like, I know we will be bound till the end of time by the things we have done, eaten and discussed – such as these lassis. You may or may not need lassis but you do want a smashing good bunch of friends with whom you can guffaw and hoot and snort and howl with laughter well into the night. And I’m sure Aparna, Harini, Lata and Sanjeeta (names in alphabetical order) will agree.


  1. How lovely that all of you could sync your schedules and take a trip together! I bet there was a LOT of laughing and giggling. Loved the digital sketch of your photo.

    1. ET, you should have been there one night when Sanjeeta and Harini went downstairs to get a sheet for me - I opened it only a couple of hours later and it turned out to be one of those covers they use to envelop the mattress! There was nothing to be done but get into it. We were howling with laughter. Aparna and Lata had gone to their room just a few minutes to finally call it a day and when they heard us, they came back and we sat and laughed together for some more time!

  2. and finding good friends over virtual friendship that too when you are into blogging is bliss....I am thinking of that lassi no.2...but the place is like must visit...seeing those heritage houses....

  3. ROFL just thinking of that time! Sigh...

    I am also remembering how we played dumb charades - just the two of us! :D Good times. :)

    1. Yep! I'm game for more trips and more dumb Cs.

  4. 3 lassis to beat my one. Wow! And you say you don't blog. :D
    Boy, did we have fun. We talked and laughed so much, but it wasn't enough. And we miseed the dumb charades because we went off to sleep!!

    1. I should have done one post for each lassi! That would be real blogging! The dumb charades were fun!

  5. "We will be bound till the end of time by the things we have done, eaten and discussed"..amen. the trip was one of the best memories to cherish for life!
    And you beat all of us with 3 lassis in single post Sra 😁

    1. No beating, Sanjeeta! I just hope I don't fall quiet for another 3 months!

  6. Hello Sra,

    I'm so happy to see you as an 'intermittent' blogger -- heaven knows I haven't even managed that the past couple of years! Glad you had a fun meeting with friends and I'm looking forward, as always, to more of your writing (and cooking!).

    BTW I love a good lassi, but I only make them at home these days. Just some sugar and black salt for me, with lots of ice :)

    All the best as always!

  7. In this hot summer, that sounds delicious in its simplicity, Linda! I don't like sugar, I prefer buttermilk, with salt. There's another new post in a few minutes. If I hadn't had one, I wouldn't have seen your comment for a longer time - I even forget to check for them nowadays!!!

  8. Its nice to be back here SRA. I now feel like an alien in this blogging world with a long gap. May be I should have posted at least 5 lassi and 10 coffee recipes. when I visit your blog, I realize how much fun it was those days to blog than in this current competitive repeatative lassi-recipe blog world.

    1. Hi Lavi, how nice to hear from you! I don't blog much either, only when inspiration and free time allow, both are in short supply! :)