Monday, April 25, 2011

A Berry That Grows in Guntur ...


... and everywhere else that curry leaf does, I'm sure!

These are the fruit of the curry leaf plant, the answer to the guessing game in the previous post.

This came off the bunches of curry leaf I bought a couple of weeks ago, and it was quite a discovery because I don't even remember these fruit despite having had curry leaf growing in our backyard at home when I was a kid. There was a faint memory of red fruit on the tree and Google Images confirmed it, but the green seems very new to me, guess I only caught a glimpse of them when they were ripe.

Two people, Haritha and Kalyani, got this right. Haritha linked to her blog, Kalyani did not. So I will link to Haritha for the next five posts, including this one. Haritha, you'd better start posting! :-D

And a link to Rachel, because it was her comment that gave me the title for this post!



16 comments:

  1. Aha! Never would have guessed that. Anything but that! Did not even know there was such a thing as that! Enough with the that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh God! What's that? I didn't get that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Crazy! I would never have known, but at least now I've learned something new today!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sra

    Meant the caption :-D
    "A Berry grows in Guntur" like "A Tree grows in Brooklyn"

    See, no "that" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joanne, if I'd seen them strew somewhere, I'd have suspected they'd be poisonous.
    Bong Mom, I thought so, but then I got worried that I'd made a mistake with the grammar somewhere! Phew!

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow, that is amazing, never knew curry plant had fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is such a fabulous idea... I recently came across this little-known fruit that used to grow in my neighbour's house in Bhubaneswar and I spied it now after almost 15yrs! Am going to post pics and ask ppl what its called next :)
    And hey, would love to pass on a blogging award to you! Do collect it from my blog and pass it on if you like...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think my post with the award wasn't up when u left ur comment :)But thanks a ton... glad u liked that post! do visit now and check out the latest one.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I have a very small curry leaves plant, probably it will take years to see this berries. Great to know!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thankyou
    I will try to post something in weekend

    ReplyDelete
  11. We had loads of berries in our curry leaves tree at home. They will get to grow into black fruits that will be slightly sweet. Long many years since I have seen them though...the tree has to be quite grown to bear berries.

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh! Even I've never seen this on a curry leaf plant... lemme check it out again..

    ReplyDelete
  13. Since I've never seen curry leaves outside of a collection of them in a tidy, plastic bag at the Indian grocer, I never would have guessed this. Do they have a fragrance at this point, or need to mature into leaves?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Susan, I crushed one of them and it smelt quite like a curry leaf - tasted that way too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. :-((((((
    Me!!! still to reach the heights in cooking area, can't call myself a person from kitchen world
    what a wrong guess,no where connected :-))))

    ReplyDelete

I moderate all my comments. So if you're a human spammer or a bot that can understand this warning, buzz off, don't waste your time here spamming.