Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Salad Days, And Reminding Again

Periodically, depending on the stocks in my pantry, I often take a salad to work so that we have something healthy and guilt-free to munch on during the day. It's usually made of beans and peas of one or more kinds so that it's a somewhat substantial snack. Of course, there are jokes about how it's boring to bring/eat healthy food, but every few minutes, someone or the other returns for a couple of spoonfuls and only rarely does any remain by the time I leave. I won't be lying if I say that nowadays I take it more for them than for myself.

I seem to have hit upon a no-fail recipe in my garlic, coriander and lime juice dressing but today, I had only one lime and not much energy to reach into the deeper recesses of the refrigerator to extract the coriander box or deal a deathblow to a clove of garlic, so I reached for the mint which was at the edge of the shelf.

I told myself that I would post it here only if I liked it, and not just to fill the week-long silence. I'm glad it didn't disappoint me.


Here's how I made this salad:

Rajma/kidney beans: 2 handfuls, soaked overnight, cooked
Carrot: Grated, a fistful

Dressing
Lime juice: of 1 lime
Mint: 10-12 leaves, chopped
Dry ginger powder/sonth/sonthi/chukku: A pinch
Salt: To taste
Green chilli: 1, chopped, seeded, if you like
Extra-virgin olive oil: 1/2 tsp

In a container, place the ingredients under Dressing, mix and let it sit for a while, say for 15-30 minutes. Then mix it well with the rajma and the grated carrot. Chill it till you need it.

Needless to say, this salad goes to the in-house event My Legume Love Affair - Fourth Helping.

Now for the reminder. There's just 10 days to go for the My Legume Love Affair - Fourth Helping deadline. Please hurry up with those entries as well as with the e-mails giving me the details and the photos. The details are in the sidebar.

32 comments:

  1. Salade loks healthy but really yumm.
    Love the addition of mint.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ilked the minty twist to your salad.
    But I have to say that rajma is my least favourite among the beans. :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. No wonder you return with an empty bowl each time. That looks fabulous and mint must add such a refreshing touch. I have a black bean soup recipe in mind for your event unfortunately I don't like the picture enough... :( so haven't posted it yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A beany salad full of flavor, guilt free snacking at its best.

    ReplyDelete
  5. yumm .. i love the mint flavour .. havent tried it with rajma though

    ReplyDelete
  6. If you don't have recipes to blog about, blog about your gym and gym-instructor, the one who wanted to know the convexity, of your, err, derriere. They'll make for fun reading :D

    This looks like a nice, refreshing dressing - love the idea of adding mint. I detest the commercially-available dressings here and usually add something tart like grapes to my salad or crumble some feta cheese. I know I'll like this one.

    Mamatha

    ReplyDelete
  7. mint..sounds interesting...I love rajma though...

    Thanks for the reminder...yet to send you the details :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thats a wholesome salad. I feel the rajma's more filling. And Sra, if I don't have anything to say in my blog "I don't blog" :) but I do miss u're posts. Atleast twice in a day would check for u're posts!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Salad looks delicious. I am not a big fan of Rajma and have some to be used up. I will try ur salad.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello sra, how are you? I see you are cooking up yummy food. Well..I try not to look too long at it! ;D
    Kitchen 1/3rd done,long way to go. Enjoy and take care.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Sra,
    salad looks very appetizing, with a dash of lemon and mint.Personally i Blog for pleasure and If I am not satisfied about a recipe ,I dont post about it and i like to take small breaks when I dont have much to say and write.
    Hugs and smiles

    ReplyDelete
  12. hi sra, this looks really easy but delicious. I am going to give it a shot

    ReplyDelete
  13. looks healthy..n perfect entry for the event..

    ReplyDelete
  14. ooh, salad looks so pretty! Yes, really! Of course looks so delicious and healthy too. I would love to take that bowl right from the picture and finish it asap.

    ReplyDelete
  15. that does look like a lovely idea for a snack!

    ReplyDelete
  16. hey!i'm 4m orissa n i'm an odia.i luvd ur odisa posts.

    ReplyDelete
  17. nice minty flavor..looks nice.

    ReplyDelete
  18. ginger powder is something I would not have thought of.

    ReplyDelete
  19. wowie, mint-lime dressing sounds very delicious sra.
    whenever i see rajma i remember the scene from Khosla Ka Ghosla ;)

    ReplyDelete
  20. oh i forgot to ask u something. i am still thinking whether i shoudl send u another entry or not ;)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thats a simple recipe for a delicious salad amde in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  22. A lovely salad with rajma.. This will come in very handy...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Hey Sra,
    Regarding ur query on my adai post- all the recipes I've come across make use of at least a little bit of rice. I did come across
    this one though that uses grits instead.

    But rice mein kya problem hain? Also, if u increase the amount of rice, u could send it to Srivalli, no? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  24. lovely salad. you have given a idea for keeping salad in lunch box

    ReplyDelete
  25. Love the colour of the salad... nice and healthy. Happy Diwali to you and your family Sra.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Fresh, protein packed salads like this make me happy any time of day. And the lovely flavor of herby mint is just great!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Wishing you and your family a happy diwali!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Dear Sra, just wanted to wish you a very happy Deepavali :)

    ReplyDelete
  29. Folks, thank you all for the comments and the wishes - I got lazy and now I feel lazier to reply to all these comments in one go! This will be remedied.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Ah! Rousing flavors and nutrition in a quick recipe. Must be so tasty with the mint!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hi...you have a great informative food blog. Just added and "faved" you too. Hope you can add Our Food Recipes. Thank you

    ReplyDelete

I moderate all my comments. So if you're a human spammer or a bot that can understand this warning, buzz off, don't waste your time here spamming.